Sunday, September 14, 2014

Invasion of the Sanity Snatchers; or, The Great Gnat Invasion of 2014

We've had a little bit of rain lately, which means that for a few days, at least, it's been a little cooler than normal. Unfortunately, this also means our usual tranquility has been rudely interrupted by gnats. We're not talking a few here and there: we're talking swarms of biblical proportions. You talk, you eat, you breath, and you're swallowing gnats. They fly up your nose so much, you quit trying to be graceful and take to snorting in public. You constantly bat them from your eyes, (so much, you may take to wearing sunglasses indoors). It's not usual to see people in the NEX, their cars, their driveways, or the classroom slapping themselves, because that seems to be the most effective means to getting them off your face.

As for open house at the elementary and secondary school this past week? This is what our halls look like:

all rooms open to the outside
So the swarms followed everyone inside all night long, making for a somewhat miserable experience. During my fifth presentation of the evening, I asked the generic, "Does anyone have any questions?" question, and I got the best one yet: "Yes, when do all these bugs go away???"

All of us who had lived here before tried to reassure the new residents that it's quite unusual; unfortunately, it's difficult to sound convincing when they can barely hear you for the maddening buzzing in their ears.

Desperate times means desperate measures, so I see people dabbing themselves with citronella or vanilla extract, and I got a great laugh when a middle schooler was passing out dryer sheets and all the kids had them pinned to their clothes by the end of the day. I mixed up apple cider vinegar and dish soap in my room, but I can't say it has made things better (and the smell---gag!). Hopefully they will decide to move on. At least it's better than the swarms of vicious mosquitoes we had a few weeks before the gnats decided to besiege GTMO.

The Great Gnat Invasion of 2014 aside, the rain also brightened up our brown little base, and this is the view I have outside of my class door these days:


Look closely and you'll see the GTMO golf course! And unlike most of the time here, you don't have to bring your own grass when we have the real thing. 

In addition, one of the huge cactuses (okay, I know it's really "cacti") near my room is covered in blossoms. I'm hoping they'll open. I'll post pics if they do. Then again, this may be all it does. Either way, it's rather interesting and the vibrant pink flowers do brighten my day. 


As an extra bonus, I've had little need to water the orphan potted plants I picked up here and there from the doorways of staff members who transferred over the summer.  This guy was waiting for me when I came into work for a few hours today. 


We've missed most of the movies lately and spend as little time as possible outside thanks to the infestation, but I think the trade-off is almost worth it when you consider how a little rain can transform this place into somewhere a little different and more beautiful than before. And for the break in monotony, I can almost deal with the swarms. 

2 comments:

  1. I feel ya sista! Between the fruit flies, houseplant gnats, desperate Mosquitos and flies, I am done with the Bavarian bug season. Ironically I have a draft about Bavarian bugs. Haven't reworked it yet. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds think alike! As you mentioned in your last post, it's the small things you concentrate on when you are living the slooooow lifestyle! Not a bad tradeoff, right?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message! I will read and respond! :)