Monday, March 16, 2015

New Digs; or, Happy Diversions

We have moved!

(Yes, this even includes Rodney).

Poor Rodney forgot his seatbelt. 


After schlepping boxes and furniture (and taxidermied animals) from point A to point B, we are officially living in our new house.




It's a lot more spacious than our last place---we can spread our furniture out, unpack those boxes that were tucked away in closets and the garage until now, and the best part is we have our own banyan tree!

When I first moved to Cuba, instead of unpacking and sorting (which I am doing now, and REALLY wishing I would have done a better job of 2 1/2 years ago), I dug up trees from a stranger's yard.

The seeds from that coral tree (under the banana tree, left) have produced several other trees, and I left that original tree in the front yard, but dug up the babies populating my backyard. They are now living in front of the new casa.


As I always do, I am working in my yard and sorting books instead of unpacking and sorting clothes. It's all about priorities, y'all. 

I am still category F. I have contacted everyone I can and begged people to go to bat for me, but I guess it isn't going to happen. The transfer round has been postponed, but it is coming up fast, and I am not being a pessimist (or cynic) but a realist---I have a very, very slim shot of leaving here this summer. Bummer.  It's not a great feeling. There is a definite feeling of claustrophobia that comes with living in a small, isolated fishbowl of a community. Many people here love it, despite this fact. The one thing I have learned about myself through this experience is that I am most definitely a city girl at heart. Despite having a lovely home, a great childhood, and wonderful, loving parents, I could not wait to get the heck out of small town Mississippi  at 17 years old (and after a few days back visiting every summer, I am very ready to go again). Give me traffic and let me live somewhere where I have to lock my doors any day. Mayberry is great to visit, but I am not the kind of person who can live there. My teenager has the same feeling, too. 

In the meanwhile. . . I am enjoying the happy diversion that is moving. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message! I will read and respond! :)