Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Thank God it's broken; or, Pedro's (finally) on the move

Today's weather in Naval Station Guantánamo Bay: 88º and it's hot, y'all! 

Being a tall person my entire life, I am often called upon to "come here and get this [such and such] from that top shelf." The problem with our house is the kitchen cabinets are over a deep set counter, which means I have to really get on my tip toes to reach the highest shelf. This problem became apparent when, upon grabbing a pyrex casserole dish, another glass dish hidden inside it came crashing down, narrowly missing my head in the process.

The crash was horrendous, the mess was heinous. Glass slivers and chips and chunks sprayed EVERYWHERE, thanks to a tile floor that had the dish bouncing like a ball before its demise. I swept, I mopped, I swept again, and I vacuumed. Twice. Even after finding dead (and live!) scorpions in the house, I have an aversion to wearing shoes indoors, but I now find myself wearing flip flops in the kitchen.

My thoughts?

Thank God. That's one less thing I have to pack.

And just like that, I've been secretly wishing that everything I don't need would just tumble out of a cabinet and end up in the garbage. That would make the process of moving to another house oh-so-easy.

Some good news. . .

Pedro the Yard Chicken has a new home.



We got keys today for our new digs! Stay tuned for the Continuing Adventure of Tacky Lawn Art (Bottle Tree, you are next) and inevitably, more broken dishes along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message! I will read and respond! :)