Monday, June 10, 2013

Getting my crafty on; or Ninja tigers and dy-no-mite

"You wanted arts and crafts
How's this for arts and crafts? 
That's right!" 
---Weezer, "Troublemaker"

I am so about the arts and crafts right now.

In fact, this past weekend I took a painting class.

The last time I took an art class was with Mrs. Evelyn Benham, a talented watercolorist and sweet lady from my little hometown. I was in fourth grade and was lucky enough to be one of a handful of students she took as students for an after school art program that only lasted one year. My school district (and most of the state of Mississippi) didn't put much stock---or funding---into art programs for kids. I'm still amazed that my high school did not offer a single art class. Not one. I really hope times have changed since I graduated.

At the beginning of our first lesson, she introduced herself---although most of us knew her---by saying, "My name is Mrs. Benham, but you may call me Evelyn." She pronounced it "EVE-uh-lyn"---to which all of us nodded our head and said, "Okay, Mrs. Benham."

She was a long-time customer at my father's drugstore and one of his favorites. She had born in Nicaragua, and although I know she told my dad the story of how she got to Monticello via New Orleans, I don't remember. She and her husband are perfect examples of how you can find the most interesting and odd people in a small town---they were both college educated (and for people born probably 100 years ago, that was something), she an artist, he a farmer with a horticulture degree. My mom had a pencil cactus for years that came from a cutting from Mr. Benham.  They were both lovely people, very down-to-earth and loved living on their little farm out from town. And I loved her art class.

She had us make pottery out of clay from the banks of the Fair River and fired it in her kiln. I made a Siamese cat. It looked more like a bull. For years, it was in the den bookcase at my parent's house for all the world to see.

We had to draw portraits of another student, and I got paired up with a kid we all called Zot. I drew him as well as I could. He did the same. I had a mustache in his drawing. I was not happy.

I had a great time with Mrs. Benham and learned as much in those lessons as any kid would in a year of  proper art instruction. I was sad when they were over.

And now, over 30 years later, I am FINALLY taking art lessons again.

I have taken a slab and a wheel pottery class. It is the first time I've done any pottery since I was eight years old. Tonight I took a painting class. Never mind that I will probably tell everyone that my seven year old did the painting. (He is, in fact, taking art lessons on Sunday afternoons).

I have had a fun time getting artsy and dirty---nothing like coming home with clay in your hair or paint on your clothes.

It's about the company, as well. I have to say I love hanging out with a group of ladies, sitting around a table and painting pottery.  It's sort of the equivalent of the quilting bee from days long gone.

I have to finish up several pieces in the next few weeks before we go out of town for summer. I know I will really miss my Sunday afternoon sojourns to the arts and crafts building. Although I haven't really made anything yet that I absolutely love, it is a relaxing way to spend a day and some days I'm lucky enough to have my youngest tag along. Check out the awesome mug he painted with funny little creatures.

Cool little stars, tigers, and skulls (with dynamite, of course) amongst some of our other artistic endeavors. 

I'm hoping to get him to do a few more, because he's insisting on drinking out of it and I'm hoping to keep it forever. What's not to love about ninja tigers and skulls with dynamite sticking out of them?

In our last 8 months of purging ourselves of needless junk, I've accumulated quite a few things H has made. I guess I will have to reconsider life amongst 50 pairs of shoes and accept the fact that I only really wear flip flops and sandals here---and that way I can make room for more awesome ninja tigers.


Beastie Boys/She's Crafty


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message! I will read and respond! :)