Tuesday, August 20, 2013

What I didn't do on vacation; or, Back On the Chain Gang

The end is near.

The end of summer vacation, that is.

This, of course, leads to new beginnings.

The ebb and flow of a school year---and the frenzy of summer vacation---are things you never learn about while studying education. You just have to experience it firsthand.

The year is full of ups and downs---especially in a school of military brats who are constantly coming and going. My kids are learning quickly about the transience of our school population, not only their peers, but the staff. They are learning how to make friends fast and deal with the fact they may be gone in a month.

We have a ritual here---when a family leaves, friends come out to the ferry landing to bid them goodbye. As the ferry pulls out for Leeward/the airport, people jump off the ferry and swim after it. The first time I saw this, I really choked up. It was so sweet and like everything else here, unique. My oldest has seen a few of his friends leave from that dock, and he's gotten to the point that he doesn't want to go anymore. It's not that he doesn't respect his friends; it's just difficult for him to say goodbye. It doesn't get any easier. The youngest and I had our first ferry goodbye last Saturday, complete with us jumping off the pier. I can't even imagine what a blubbery, crying mess I will be when I take my last ferry trip to Leeward after saying goodbye to friends.

In just 10 months, each of our kids has lost at least 4-5 kids from his circle of friends. Thinking to my tiny high school and class (89 students), I don't think I had 4-5 friends move away in my entire high school experience (not counting graduation, of course).

Each school will be getting new administrators and new counselors this year. We have a new secretary and a few new teachers. Changes are everywhere.

I am excited about going back tomorrow, and I'm hopeful and optimistic with the new changes, but there is a secret of the profession you may not know---we live with an overwhelming pressure to be über-productive during the summer, and for many of us, summer ends in guilt when we don't get everything done on the summer to-do list.

This started for me in the very beginning years of my career---in fact, I went back to school during my first ever vacation summer as a teacher to finish my graduate degree in English. I've spent a few other summers back to school when I got my librarian certification.

I used to take epic road trips, just me, my two dogs, and my little Jetta crossing the country from Colorado to see friends in family in Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama.  You haven't lived until you've smelled dog breath for hundreds of miles on the road.

Once we moved much further away (and we had a baby), road trips became plane trips. It's just not the same thing.

This summer's travel plans were shorter (and more stressful) than we originally planned, but at least we now know how to navigate the Space A system.

In addition to travel plans, I always have lists of books to read every summer.

I only got through half of these. . . 

That large stack of books next to my bed, including several I wanted to be able to suggest to students? Well. . . I did read a few, but I didn't read nearly as many from the school library as I planned.

I also always have cleaning, sorting, organizing, and purging plans. You know, exciting stuff: closets, the pantry, the laundry room, several cabinets, more closets, and the garage.

We still haven't finished unpacking from our large shipment in December. I got through more boxes, but I didn't get through all of them. I think we are at least a thousand (or more) pounds lighter than when we arrived, if the boxes and boxes and carloads of clothes, toys, and household goods I've given to the charity store are any indication.

I did manage to find more (damn!) shoes in the process of unpacking. I also checked off a few more closets I wanted to clean---but I wasn't nearly as productive as I wanted to be.

It's the summer time guilt of being a teacher.

Other things I kind of did, but not well:

I did manage to keep running, but only 1-2 times a week (it's hot here, people!).

I did cook---just a little. Again, it's hot. Cooking in the heat is so overrated.

I didn't do much yard work (hot as 7 Hells!!!) or unpack all those boxes in the garage (it's hot, hot, hot!).

There are always the surprises of summer, the opportunities that serendipitously seem to fall in my lap, the new people and places I get to experience. Here's what I did do:

I played a lot of card and board games, some with neighbors, some with my kids, some with my neighbors' kids.

I read lots and lots of Roald Dahl with the youngest, and in hopes that he doesn't have a completely off-kilter sense of humor, threw in one of the Little House books, which took me back to my childhood.

I got to hold my youngest niece for the 2nd time! I got to hang out with my oldest niece (as well as my sister) and the kids had a great time playing with their cousins. I got to see Al. Al is my first cousin, and we are 18 months apart. For four years, each of us was an only child, so being the oldest grandkids, we seemed to spend the most time together of the five cousins during our summers. Getting to see him made my heart happy.

And then there was the experience of watching my youngest son and my sister's daughter, who have about the same age difference as Al and me, playing together and getting along like we did.  I can't even tell you how happy that made me. Throw in that his kids were there, too, and it was a good day. Everyone needs a first cousin (or three) to love. My husband doesn't have any; I am happy that my boys have four (and will hopefully get to see the other two this winter). Family time=bliss.

I took advantage of free movies here every week. So what if I'm not into action movies or if a movie gets a bad review? When you are enjoying a free movie on a large screen, kicked back in your fancy lawn chair, eating cheap popcorn, enjoying a breeze and beautiful stars, your expectation is only to have fun.

I didn't get up to 5-10 mile runs, like I wanted, but I have cut my pace considerably on a 3-4 mile run since I got here in October. I couldn't even run 3-4 miles when I got here! I'll start doing the 5 and 10K circuit again in the fall, and will maybe even try for a 1/2 marathon before all is said and done. (Never say never!)

I've met and hung out with people I didn't know before vacation, and I've gotten to know other folks much better. We've met at movies, we've gone to pottery and painting classes, and we've been to parties together. I have been to some crazy, fun parties. What happens in Gitmo. . . you know the rest.

I painted this:


and I'm not totally embarrassed by it. :)

I got activities and programs and displays and contests planned for the entire school year for two libraries (Pinterest! Holla!), which is more than I can say when I got here in October. Each new year brings much uncertainty, but I feel more comfortable with the unknown now that I've gotten a definitive (more or less) plan.

I snuggled with a seven year old on the couch and watched corny cartoons. I threw a ball with the kids. I took the kids to get ice cream and other unhealthy food. I wished my oldest son well as he left the house to go to his first job. Yes, he is growing up too fast. They both are.  Who cares if the laundry isn't all folded and put away or the beds didn't get made every day? I wouldn't trade hanging out on the couch, watching "Adventure Time" or hanging out at the park for being more "productive," whatever that means, anyway.

I spent yesterday morning on my second dive with my oldest. He has grown and matured so much since we've moved here, and I'm in awe of what an amazing kid he is. He took most of these pictures, and he lead our dive. I am so very proud of him!



So tomorrow starts a new year, my 20th year as a teacher, and my second year here. It's the year of our 20th anniversary, my oldest son's 2nd year in high school, and my youngest's 2nd grade year. It's the year of 20 and 2---maybe I should take up roulette? Or play the lottery? I'm betting that this year is bigger and better than last---and last wasn't bad, at all. In fact, it was a fun adventure.

As my oldest said when I told him we were thinking of moving here, "Well, at least it will make a great topic for my college essay: That Time My Parents Moved Us to Cuba." 

Bring on the 2014 school year. I'm ready.

back on the chain gang


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message! I will read and respond! :)