Saturday, January 10, 2015

Ain't No Thang (but a chicken wang); or, Blessings & Gratitude

This makes me happy:

GTMO McDonald's serves this:
Cue OutKast, c. 1994: Ain't No Thang But a Chicken Wang
Sticky rice + chicken wings = happiness

We may not have gourmet restaurants or much variety, but it's finding the weird and strange little things that makes me happy. How many of you have rice at your McDonald's? 

This makes me feel blessed: 

We've had a rotating door of colleagues and neighbors bring food to the house since my hospital stay. I am humbled to no ends that people have taken time out of their busy lives (almost all are teachers) to cook us a delicious meal. We are lucky to live in a small and close-knit community where people look after each other. 

Also, I am blessed to have a husband who does more than fair share of cooking all the time (I can cook, I just don't like to do it, especially after a long day at work). With being Mom/Dad/Nurse during my recovery, he has gotten a much-deserved break from cooking, as well. We are both feeling very thankful right now. 

This makes me feel lucky: 

I have gotten to a point living here where I don't really buy anything. Living in one season, you don't need many clothes. Driving less than 50 miles a week and no faster than 35 mph, you don't need a new car. We no longer own a house, and it feels GREAT to be homeless


I love my new "normal." It's not for everyone, but getting away from that lifestyle has made us all feel like our so-called struggles of GTMO---no Diet Coke at the commissary for a month, limited and expensive flights off island, ridiculously slow internet---seem very trivial. 

The first year here, those issues seemed huge. Now, it's sort of like, "eh, we've had no fresh fruit for 2 weeks. It will show up sooner or later." You learn to deal. You learn to live without. 

In the words of my second favorite Henry (Thoreau): "Our life is frittered away by detail. . . Simplify, simplify, simplify." 

I have moments where I get really frustrated or depressed or angry about small things that seem to pile up. It's hard living in an isolated place. It's difficult living so far away from family. It's crazy not having some basic services in the 21st century (we are spoiled Americans, after all). I have good and bad days, and like so many people here, I have a love/hate relationship with this place. Some days are in the middle, but more often than not, it's on one of the extremes. 

The past couple of weeks has reminded me that living without doesn't mean that your life isn't rich. Sometimes small surprises, big-hearted friends, and a simple life is all you need. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message! I will read and respond! :)