Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Woman on the Verge; or, Bob Marley Earthquake Survival Tips

The luxurious island life has been wearing me down, MAN.

Sporadic/non-existent internet at work makes getting the yearbook uploaded to the company site in time for a tight deadline a nightmare.

I decided to finally settle in since we are here indefinitely and ordered a rug. It's on the barge. . . along with the last of the decorations we ordered a month ago for the prom (which is in less than 2 weeks). Yikes again.

And for at least the 4th time since we moved here, the entire island is out of Diet Coke. The struggle is REAL.

If my life were a movie right now, I have a great title in mind. Unfortunately, the great Spanish director Almodóvar already used it:
Young Antonio Banderas---Rahr
So I'm putting this out to the universe (or at least the few people who read this): if I take on two huge tasks that are due at the same time, which happens to be at the end of the year (really a big deal when you teach h. school, especially seniors), please shoot me. Hit me. Remind me that I'm a moron. Remind me that I am physically and mentally exhausted, that I can't formulate a complete sentence most days, that I have been plagued with headaches (and twice, the hives) because of the stress. Please remind me.

I was actually volun-told to do one of these tasks (yearbook), but I chose to be a class sponsor to organize prom. I am so type A and such a worry-wart, I have lost tons of sleep over "what can go wrong?" scenarios. I am not cut out for this sort of thing. Lesson learned. 

I've spent a lot of time lately figuring out why I am basically living at school right now---these 2 things are a big part of it. So is teaching 5 preps. I'm trying to find ways to balance it all for next year and putting family first. It won't matter in 10 years if the yearbook was perfect or if I had beautifully written lesson plans; I will have 2 boys grown and out of the house, so I have to find ways to spend extra time with them, instead of 15-20 hours a weekend at school. 

Just yesterday, H reminded me of what I miss out when I'm working 60 hour weeks instead of hanging out with him. 

Here are some quotes:

"Fun fact, mom!  Did you know that 50 Cent was shot in the tongue?" 
That's not really "fun," but the total randomness of this declaration made me laugh. 

"I know what to do in case of an earthquake, mom! I get under a strong table. And then I sing Bob Marley's 'Three Little Birds.' Loudly."

Thanks, kid, for reminding me that every little thing's gonna be alright. . . 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message! I will read and respond! :)